Monday, August 27, 2012

WEEK 7 EOC: Finding a lawyer


I decided to try a few lawyers that I know before cold calling random lawyers in the Las Vegas area.
There were 4 that I could think of:
·      Beth, a lawyer friend that I chat with online on facebook,
·      Ward, a lawyer at the insurance company I used to work for. I used to fix his computer as part of my job doing in-house computer support. The drawback is, it has been awhile since I have seen him and I don’t even know if he still works at that company or even if he would remember me.
·      Ash, a family friend. But it has been years since I have heard from him and he was more my brother’s friend than mine.
·      My cousin who is studying for the bar now. She is not a lawyer yet, but I am assuming she would know some lawyers.           

I went online and contacted the first one, Beth. I got very lucky, she happened to be online at the time. I explained my homework to her and she immediately agreed to help. I am not sure what type of lawyer she is but in law school you are required to have a very broad education and know about all types of law so I think she is a good choice.
            I plan to ask her legal questions related to photography. For example I would like to know what are your rights when shooting strangers in public places and when you do and don’t need model releases and property releases. Another question would be if you didn’t register your pictures with the copyright office can you still sue someone for copyright infringement if they use your image without your permission. Also I had a Russian guy steal the text content of my website, when I contacted the ISP to have them take it down, they said they needed a court order and I figured that would cost money so I never pursued it, there could be some legal questions to ask related to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment